Paringa Estate sweeps Sydney Wine Show
Mornington Peninsula's Paringa Estate was the top performer at the 2009 Macquarie Group Sydney Royal Wine Show, sweeping the field with five gold medals and five trophies.
Led by owner-winemaker Lindsay McCall, the Mornington Peninsula Winery impressed the expert panel of judges led by Chairman of Judges Iain Riggs, picking up five Gold Medals and five Trophies.
“Paringa did a superb job and was suitably rewarded with The Macquarie Group Perpetual Trophy for Best Wine in Show, for their Paringa Estate Shiraz (2006),” said Riggs.
A total 2355 wines from 357 exhibitors were judged at this year’s Show, representing close to a 20-per-cent increase in entries from 2008. Of the wines judged 40 percent received a medal. Thirty-three trophies, 122 Gold Medals, 211 Silver Medals and 566 Bronze medals have been awarded, covering table wines and fortified wines and brandy.
“The other pleasing aspect was that the 122 Gold Medals were shared across 74 different wineries from the very small to the largest of our multinationals and across the length and breadth of Australia,” said Mr Riggs.
On a state basis, South Australia dominated with 52 Gold Medals ahead of NSW with 43, but not unexpectedly the star performer was Western Australia with 16 Gold. Victoria won 10 Gold, half of these going to Paringa Estate.
Trophy winners were:
- Best Commercial White Wine - Xanadu Wines, Next of Kin Xanadu Chardonnay (2008)
- Best Sweet Wine - De Bortoli, Deen De Bortoli Botrytis Semillon (2006)
- Best Young White Wine - Angullong Vineyard, Angullong Sauvignon Blanc (2008)
- Best White Wine - Premium Classes, Previous Vintage and Older - Tyrrell's Vineyards, Tyrrells HVD Semillon (2004)
- Best Riesling, Dry Style - Helm Wines, Helm Classic Dry Riesling (2008)
- Best Semmion - Tyrrell's Vineyards, Tyrrells VAT 1 Semillon (2005)
- Best Chardonnay - Cape Mentelle, Cape Mentelle Chardonnay (2007)
- Best Sauvignon Blanc - Logan Wines, Logan Sauvignon Blanc (2008)
- Best White Wine under $15 - Angullong Vineyard - Angullong Sauvignon Blanc (2008)
- Best White Wine in the Show - Tyrrell's Vineyards, Tyrrells VAT 1 Semillon (2005)
- Best White Wine Premium and Aged Vintage - Peter lehmann Wines, Wigan Riesling (2003)
- Best Dry Red Wine - Penfolds Wines, Penfolds Koonunga Hill Seventy Six Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon (2007)
- Best Dry Red Wine (2 years and older) - Chateau Reynella, Chateau Reynella Shiraz (2006)
- Best Red Wine Previous Vintage - Starvedog Lane, Starvedog Lane Shiraz Viogneir (2007)
- Best Shiraz/Viognier - Amberley Estate, Amberley Shiraz Viognier (2007)
- Best Pinot Noir - Paringa Estate, Paringa Estate Estate Pinot Noir (2007)
- Best Cabernet Sauvignon - The Yalumba Wine Company, Ringbolt Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon (2007)
- Best Shiraz - Paringa Estate, Paringa Estate Estate Shiraz (2006)
- Best Merlot - Not Awarded
- Best Red Wine in the Show - Paringa Estate, Parigna Estate Estate Shiraz (2006)
- Best Red Wine Aged Vintages - Mount Langi Ghiran, Mount Langi Ghiran "Langi" Shiraz (2004)
- Best Red Wine under $20 - Lake Breeze, Bullant Shiraz (2007)
- Best Wine Small Producer - Clairault Wines, Clairault Estate Chardonnay (2006)
- Best Wine Named Vineyard - Paringa Estate, Paringa Estate Reserve Shiraz (2007)
- Best Sparkling White Wine - B Seppelt & Sons, Seppelt Salinger (2005)
- Best Sparkling Red Wine - Not Awarded
- Best Sherry, Fino Style - Seppeltsfield Wines, Seppeltsfield Flora Fino
- Best Port - McWilliam's Wines, Show Tawny
- Best Brandy - Hardys, Hardys Show Brandy
- Best Wine exhibited at major State Wine Shows in the 12 months preceding judging - The Fine Wine Partners Perpetual Trophy - Fosters Group, Coldstream Reserve Chardonnay (2006) from the 2008 Wrest Point Royal Hobart International Wine Show
- Best Wine of the Show - Macquarie Group Perpetual Trophy - Paringa Estate, Paringa Estate Estate Shiraz (2006)
- Melbourne Surrounds (VIC)
- Mornington Peninsula (VIC)
To see our recommendations, ratings and reviews you must be a logged-in subscriber.
To subscribe please enter your email address in the "Subscribe Now - it's Free" box on the right and click the "Join" button, or fill in this form >